Saturday, March 1, 2008

Run For Your Life!

Do everything
without complaining or arguing,
so that you may become
blameless and pure,

children of God
without fault in a crooked and depraved generation,
in which you
shine like stars
in the universe
as you hold out the word of life—
in order that I may boast on the day of Christ
that I did not run or labor for nothing.

Philippians 2:14-16

Paul is addressing the Philippians, saying they need to do all things without murmurings and disputings so that they would be lights in a dark world, and that if they continued to offer the gospel to others, Paul would be blessed when Jesus comes back knowing that he hadn’t wasted his time and efforts with the Philippians.

This morning I ran in a 5K (3.1 miles) for the first time in well, a looooooong time. I have to confess, it was a battle not to complain and I assure you that I was not shining like a star at the finish line! I finished with a not- so-great time, but I finished! You know, I realize the time that I have spent working up to this event was not in vain. It surely prepared me for the 3.1 miles. It was important that I stayed focused and diligent in my training, as well as in the actual race today.

More importantly, I need to stay focused on Christ. I tend to get all caught up in my own little life and the problems that surround me. But my goal needs to be sharing Jesus with a sick and dying world. Lord, I want to shine like a star holding out your truth in the darkest place, declaring your light to this broken world...all for your glory!

Shine (by Matt Redman)
Lord we have seen the rising sun,
awakening the early dawn,
And we´re rising up to give you praise.
Lord we have seen the stars and moon,
see how they shine,
They shine for you,
And You´re calling us to do the same.
So we rise up with a song,
and we rise up with a cry
And we´re giving you our lives.
We will shine like stars in the universe,
Holding out Your truth in the darkest place.
We´ll be living for Your glory,
Jesus we´ll be living for Your glory.
We will burn so bright with Your praise O God,
And declare Your light to this broken world.
We´ll be living for Your glory,
Jesus we´ll be living for Your glory.
Like the sun so radiantly
Sending light for all to see,
Let your holy church arise
Exploding into life,
Like a supernova´s light,
Set your holy church on fire;
We will shine.


No comments: