Monday, March 24, 2008

Complete

My mother-in-law, Dorothy Drake Phares Morgan - 1954
…you are complete in Him,
who is the head of all
principality and power.
Colossians 2:10


I have always been pretty much self-motivated and even defined by some as a hopeless perfectionist. At the same time however, I always struggled with insecurity, fear, and feelings of inadequacy, even comparing my self to other successful women. I definitely had a lame definition of success before I discovered the promises in the Word of God, claiming them as God's spoken word to me. My house may be a lot messier, and our clothes may not be perfectly pressed but I am enjoying life a lot more lately.

I have been married for 22 years, raised three wonderful children, taught school for 13 years, but by the world's standards I really haven't achieved much success. I realize that success is defined differently according to whom you ask, but the truth about success lies in what the Word of God says. If you know Him, if you've been born again, if you're a new creation in Jesus Christ, trusting Him, you have been made complete. You're complete. I don't care how you feel; this is the facts, this is the truth, you are complete. You have been made complete. Christ is sufficient. And your sufficiency isn't in yourself, it's in Him.

I asked my mother-in-law this past weekend what accomplishment she was most proud of in her life. Without hesitation she said, 'being a wife and mother...that's all I ever wanted to do.'

I believe she was extremely successful and she certainly is a hard act to follow! She reared three godly children and has loved her husband for over fifty-four years. In our culture today it is rare to find a woman content and fulfilled in being a wife and mother. Nothing wrong with having a career, but I often wonder if the struggles of attempting to balance career/home are worth all the hassle and frustration?

I looked up 'success' in the dictionary. The definition read:

….the attainment of wealth, position, honors, or the like.

What is your definition of success? Will your success be enough to carry you through difficult times that you may face? I heard someone once say, What a tragedy it would be to spend an entire lifetime climbing the ladder of success only to reach the top and find the ladder was leaning against the wrong wall. Success is a personal relationship with Jesus which leads you to understanding the purpose of your life...

to worship, serve, and glorify God.

No comments: