Wednesday, March 12, 2008

The Good Shepherd

Resting sheep and shepherd boy - a gift from my mother
The Lord is my Shepherd; I shall not want.He maketh me to lie down in green pastures:He leadeth me beside the still waters.He restoreth my soul:He leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for His name' sake.

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death,I will fear no evil: For thou art with me;Thy rod and thy staff, they comfort me.Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies;Thou annointest my head with oil; My cup runneth over.

Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life,and I will dwell in the House of the Lord forever.
Psalm 23

Today's verse of the day from Psalm 23 and yesterday's verse of the day from Matthew 6:19-13 are two that you most likely memorized as a young child. Yesterday, the Lord directed me to both of these and I have begun studying them line for line...to let them really sink down in my heart.

My friend Barbara called me this morning.
She is a beautiful, godly, African-American woman full of the Spirit, and has been such an encouragement to me lately. I have only known her a few months, but we have become fast friends and best of all...prayer partners. I can truly call her my sister in Christ. When we look at one another we don't see our differences.
The Word calls the people of God toward unity of faith.
1 Corinthians 10:17 says,


For we, though many, are one bread and one body;
for we all partake of that one bread.

As we talked on the telephone this morning, Barbara began to tell me how she had ministered through the Word and song at the nursing home yesterday. She talked about how she had spoken to the residents about Psalm 23. I had to tell her how the Lord had also led me to Psalm 23. What a wonderful time we had discussing, sharing, consuming the promises of God! Manna from heaven!

Speaking of Psalm 23, you know, when David spoke of the Lord as his shepherd, he thought of Him not only as his provider and protector but also as his king. Because God was David’s shepherd, he lacked (wanted) nothing. A good shepherd is all a sheep needs since a good shepherd, by his very nature will always supply all of the sheep’s needs.


The Good Shepherd is all you need.

No comments: