Friday, March 28, 2008

The Shadow Of Death

Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil...
Psalm 23

My mother-in-law went home today. She is now resting in the arms of Jesus. What a beautiful, loving, and talented lady she was. She will be terrribly missed, but we know she is finally at peace and free from pain.

In her last days, my daughter touched her face several times and was amazed at the smooth, soft texture of her grandmother's beautiful skin at seventy-four years of age. I told her how her grandmother had avoided the sun, covering her face, or waiting til late in the day to be outside. She definitely prefered the shade. She even planted as many trees as she could to produce lots of shade in her yard.

Shortly after she passed away today, I gazed out the window to see a beautiful image...the shade and shadows of the trees she had planted reflecting in the pond at dusk. It was as if the trees were actually in the water. If I had put my hand in the water could I have touched the trees? Of course not.

As believers in Christ, we won't be touched by death. Our earthly bodies will die, but we will not experience eternal death. Jesus conquered death through the resurrection. The grave has no victory over us and death has no sting (1 Corinthians 15:5). Our last breath on this earth will be followed by our first breath in the presence of the Lord. To be absent from the body is to be present with the Lord. (2 Corinthians 5:8)

Whoever lives and believes in me will never die. John 11:26

No comments: