Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Suffering

St. Francis de Sales (1567-1622)

Yet if anyone suffers as a Christian,
let him not be ashamed,
but let him glorify God in this matter.
1 Peter 4:16

My dear Aunt Judy wrote these words to me today...

"...we never know what may be instore for us, but faith has to lead us to believe that even in the most difficult circumstances that we go through someday we may stand and look back and reflect on blessings that we have received through the most trying of times and did not even know that it would turn out that way... we only have faith in the fact that GOD is in charge and and we are judged by what we do with the circumstances that have been thrown our way and how we glorify GOD." (Aunt Judy)

At some point in our life here on earth, we will all experience pain, stress, disappointment, frustration, grief, and fear. In these times, we learn to trust God and realize the truths found in 2 Corinthians 12:9-10,

My grace is sufficient for you,
for My strength is made perfect in weakness.
Therefore most gladly I will rather boast in my infirmities,
that the power of Christ may rest upon me.
Therefore I take pleasure in infirmities,
in reproaches,
in needs,
in persecutions,
in distresses,
for Christ’s sake.
For when I am weak, then I am strong.

The many troubles in your household will tend to your edification, if you strive to bear them all in gentleness, patience, and kindness. Keep this ever before you, and remember constantly that God's loving eyes are upon you amid all these little worries and vexations, watching whether you take them as He would desire. Offer up all such occasions to Him; and if sometimes you are put out and give way to impatience, do not be discouraged, but make haste to regain your lost composure. (Saint Francis de Sales)

You had better make up your mind to accept what you cannot alter. You can live a beautiful life in the midst of your present circumstances. (J. R. Miller)

No comments: