Thursday, April 3, 2008

Rejoice Always


Rejoice always,

Pray without ceasing,

give thanks in all circumstances;

for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you.

1 Thessalonians 5:16-18


I love this quote by Elisabeth Elliot: Here is my heart, Lord God, thankful for a thousand mercies...Sweep out the discontent. Give me a merry, humble, ever thankful heart that honors You.

I have always been a list-maker. I have an on-going, never-ending list of projects that I hope to accomplish one day, a list for the grocery store, a list for chores for each day of
the week, a list for gifts that need to be purchased for birthdays, new brides, and babies yet to be born. I can be quite neurotic at times about the whole thing.

I recently discovered that I need to start a new list. I realize more each day how little I know about God, how limited my scope is of who God truly is. And sadly, how I fail to thank Him.

So as I take His hand today, walking through the refining fires, through the valley of the shadow of death, in green pastures, beside the still waters, and in the paths of righteousness for His name sake, I choose to open my eyes to recognize His blessings, His gifts. Today I will begin a new list entitled ONE THOUSAND GIFTS. I will journal this list in a simple dollar store spiral notebook and on my blog, as well.


Here are my first offerings:

1. A walk in the cool spring morning

2. Wet leaves and grass from rain last night

3. A peck on the cheek from my son

4. Rolling daughter's hair

5. A phone call from my sweet husband

Ann, is the inspiration for starting my own gift list. For an explanation of reasons for keeping a gift list refer to her writings.

"Gratitude bestows reverence, allowing us to encounter everyday epiphanies, those transcendent moments of awe that change forever how we experience life and the world." - John Milton

No comments: