Thursday, April 17, 2008

Pack Lightly



Let us strip off every weight that slows us down, especially the sin that so easily hinders our progress. Hebrews 12:1

In 2006 we packed nine suitcases filled with VBS supplies and toys for an orphanage to take along on our family mission trip to Trinidad, West Indies. Careful consideration went into every item placed in the suitcases. We wanted to make sure each article was necessary and useful for our journey, and we certainly didn't want to pay extra for exceeding the airline's baggage weight limit. I recall at check-in we were elated to find that we only had to pay extra on one bag that exceeded the weight limit.
As I read this verse today, God spoke to me very clearly about the extra baggage that I tend to carry around. The baggage that weighs me down in my spirit. I should get rid of those things that I was never meant to carry.
So today I will unpack
anger,
disappointment,
weakness,
distractions,
hurt,
busy-ness,
rebellion,
fear
Thank you, Father for showing me that this extra baggage slows me down and is not essential for the journey.

No comments: