Monday, April 21, 2008

Cleansed and Seasoned

I bought a Chinese wok today. Little did I know the lengthy process of cleansing and seasoning that my wok would require before it could be used.

The directions stated....

To cleanse the wok, it must be filled with water and boiled for 5-7 minutes to remove the protective film. After the boiling water is poured out, the pan has to be immediately scrubbed vigourously with soapy water and a scouring pad. Next, rinse and wipe dry.

To season the wok, 2 TBSP of cooking oil should be rubbed over the entire surface of the pan. Next it must be placed over medium heat for 10 minutes. Using a paper towel, the oil needs to be distributed over the inside of the pan while it is heating. Remove the pan from the heat and cool. Repeat 3 or 4 times. This ensures a non stick surface.

After this process the pan is now seasoned and ready for use.

My life if a lot like that wok. Before I can be used, I need to first allow God to cleanse me, removing all the impurities, stripping off the protective coating that I put on.
1 John 1:9 says,

If we confess our sins He is faithful
and just to forgive us our sins and
cleanse
us from all unrighteousness.

The oil that I used to season my wok reminds me that I need to be seasoned in the Word of God. Colossians 4:6 says,

Let your conversation be always full of grace,
seasoned with salt,
so that you may know how to answer everyone.

No comments: