Sunday, April 6, 2008

Purify Me

Drinking from a Travelers Palm in Trinidad, West Indies - 2006

Since we have these promises, dear friends,
let us purify ourselves from everything that contaminates body and spirit, perfecting holiness out of reverence for God.
2 Corinthians 7:1
I remember seeing the Travelers Palm in Trinidad. The name for this plant derives from the fact that a stem can be cut and the water inside can be drunk, hence good for thirsty travelers who need refreshment.
There is nothing better than a cold drink of water to quench my thirst. I prefer drinking bottled water to tap water and although I am probably deceiving myself, it seems like it just has to purer and cleaner than regular tap water.
My oldest son says we should purchase a water purifier. That way, he reasons, we will save on the cost of purchasing bottled water and at the same time cut down on environmental waste. I didn't raise any dummies, so I am considering his suggestion.
I have decided to read up on water purifiers. They say that even if your water tastes bad, it can be changed into great tasting water after going through the water purifier. The purifier removes harmful minerals and chemicals and provides water in its purest form.
The scripture from 2 Corinthians 7:1 calls us to strip away everything in our lives that contaminates our body and spirit so we can honor and glorify God.
What are the impurities that tend to contaminate your life? I confess I have many. One of them is the toxic contaminate of insecurity that tends to cloud my life and float to the top unless I seek God daily. If I neglect time in His Word I tend to rely on my feelings, leaving me parched and dehydrated. When I choose to seek the pure truth in His Word, I am reminded that He is the only one that can satisfy and quench my thirst. In John 4:13-14 Jesus said, Everyone who drinks this water will be thirsty again, but whoever drinks the water I give him will never thirst. Indeed, the water I give him will become in him a spring of water welling up to eternal life." John 7:38 says, "Whoever believes in me, as the Scripture has said, streams of living water will flow from within him."
James 1:7 says, every good and perfect gift is from above.
More gifts to add to the list....
14. tears and hugs of reconciliation

15. a lunch of leftovers, God's provision

16. affirming words from a friend to me

17. ministering to a precious, hurting soul

No comments: