Wednesday, February 20, 2008

The Definition Of Kindness

And do not bring sorrow
to God’s Holy Spirit by the way you live.
Remember, he has identified you as his own,
guaranteeing that you will be saved
on the day of redemption.
Get rid of all bitterness,
rage,
anger,
harsh words,
and slander,
as well as all types of evil behavior.
Instead,
be kind to each other,
tenderhearted,
forgiving one another,
just as God through Christ has forgiven you.

Ephesians 4:30-32

Leo Buscaglia once said, "Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around."

Is there someone in your life (besides Jesus) that has shown you kindness?

I participated in a Bible Study on "kindness" today and the entire time I kept thinking of this one particular person that has consistently shown me kindness. This person has rejoiced in my triumphs, mourned at my losses, prayed with me in the trials, and encouraged me all the way. Although I have only known her for a very short time, I feel a special closeness to this godly friend. She always seems to have the right words to say to me. Lately, she she has been the face of Jesus in my life as I walk through the fire.
After the Bible Study today, I gathered my purse, coat, and Bible then turned around to see her smiling face....she had been sitting behind me during the entire study. After we chatted for a few minutes, she handed me a card and a small velveteen drawstring bag. She said, I just want you to know I am praying for you. I waited til she walked away to open the card and drawstring bag. The card revealed her tender, compassionate heart...speaking words of encouragement. The bag held a beautiful silver cross necklace.
The words below are taken from the Bible Study and are so perfect for describing the kindness this precious friend has shown me.....
Kindness is doing something good for someone:
-when it is not expected
-when it is not required
-when there's nothing to gain in return
-and often when it's very difficult to do.
God bless you, Allison for defining kindness.

Kindness is the language which the deaf can hear and the blind can see. ~Mark Twain

No comments: