Thursday, October 9, 2008

Treasures...

Do not lay up for yourselves treasures on earth,
where moth and rust destroy
and where thieves break in and steal,
but lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven,
where neither moth nor rust destroys
and where thieves do not break in and steal.
For where your treasure is,
there your heart will be also.
Matthew 6:19-21
I remember following the Mel Fisher story back in the 1980's. He was the guy that found over 40 tons of silver and gold from the Nuestra Senora de Atocha and the Santa Margarita, the Spanish galleons that sank during the hurricane on September 6, 1622 near Key West, Florida. I recently heard that gold is valued at approximately $900 an ounce. It's enough to make me want to go diving or, better yet, stir around in my jewelry box for any out-dated, unwanted gold pieces. So far, since I never have really been into fine jewelry, nor could I afford it, I haven't found anything worth trading in for cash. I do have a gold charm bracelet that I am pretty fond of ... sentimental value more than anything else. I'll hang on to it, for sure.

What is treasure? According to the handy-dandy on-line dictionary I referred to, treasure is accumulated or stored wealth in the form of money, jewels, or other valuables; valuable or precious possessions of any kind; one considered especially precious or valuable. Now that's a pretty broad definition, wouldn't you agree? What is valuable to me may not mean anything to you. In fact I've often heard one man's trash is another man's treasure.
At any rate, I think it's o.k. to have treasures as long as they don't have you. Because, let's face it, this world is temporary. We don't need to get to attached to the things in it since they will all pass away. We need to invest in eternal things like ... showing the love of Christ to others regardless of their race, color, creed, etc. The souls of people are eternal. All else will fade away. People need the Lord. But, do we really care?

I heard of a conversation between an old man (OM) and a young boy (YB). It went something like this ...

OM: What are you doing?

YB: I go to school.

OM: Why do you go to school?

YB: To study.

OM:Why do you study?

YB: To get smart.

OM:Why do you want to get smart?

YB: So I can get a good job.

OM:Why do you want to get a good job?

YB: So I can make lots of money.

OM:Why do you want to make lots of money?

YB:So I can buy food.

OM: Why do you want to buy food?

YB: So I can eat.

OM: Why do you want to eat?

YB: To live.

OM:Why do you want to live?

At this point, the young boy thought for minute, scratched his head looked at the old man and said "Sir, why do I live?" He paused a moment in mid-thought then gave his own sad answer, "To die!"

We all have a purpose, a plan for our life ... to honor and glorify God. Lord, remind me daily of what really matters in this life.

The best things
in life
aren't things!

No comments: