Thursday, October 16, 2008

Late night

If my people, which are called by my name,
shall humble themselves,and pray,
and seek my face,and turn from their wicked ways;
then will I hear from heaven,and will forgive their sin,
and will heal their land.
2 Chronicles 7:14

I gave up on late night tv some time ago ... and really gave up on tv altogether for a while. But since the heated presidential race is on and my politically-minded son called to make sure I watched the debate, I was up and tuned in last night. After the debate, with remote in hand, I ventured out and did some channel surfing. That's when I discovered Glenn Beck. Here's a portion of the transcript (in blue) from his show that I found interesting ...

"Right now as we struggle through a crisis in confidence, in trust, we realize that our lack of trust has now spread to the banks, to the corporations, to the government, to the politicians, everywhere. Who do we really trust anymore? Who do you trust? Do you trust our President?Trust the Congress? Our Treasury Secretary? Our Fed Chairman? Who do you listen to, and they go, oh, ok, I feel better now.
Do you trust that there`s enough gold in Fort Knox to back all the money that we`ve printed? I don`t.
So again, I ask you, who are you putting your trust in to guide America safely through the storm? The answer to me, I came to this weekend, is really pretty simple. And you find it right in front of you. It`s in your pocket or your purse. In 1861 the director of the Philadelphia Mint sent a letter to Pennsylvania Minister who was concerned about how future generations will look back at America if it were to collapse during the Civil War. And he wrote,
"Dear Sir. No nation can be strong except in the strength of God, or safe except in his defense. The trust of our people in God should be declared on our national coins."
And so it was. Now 147 years later, if you flip
that $1 bill over, you`re going to see our official national motto of the United States of America. It`s printed there for all to see.
"In God We Trust." Unfortunately I`m not sure that it`s true anymore. Is it?
I was sitting in church and I live in a place
where it`s all brokers, all people in the financial market. And that their world has been rocked. And I thought, these people will hang on because their rock is God. It`s in their faith. It`s in something tangible.
We have built our house, the house of this country, on sand. We have forgotten what`s true.... I think so many people have made false Gods, and it is money. It`s our homes. It`s these gigantic mansions or the right car or the right job, or this. And they put their faith there. Or they`ve put their faith like so many of us have in a certain politician or a certain party and we feel betrayed by them and so we`ve lost that connection where we should."

Not too bad for late night tv, huh? Psalms 20:7-8 says...
Some trust in chariots, and some in horses: but we will remember the name of the LORD our God.
Glenn Beck for President!

No comments: