Friday, October 17, 2008

Obey the Law

Remind them to be subject
to rulers and authorities,
to obey, to be ready
for every good work.
Titus 3:1


Laws. We need them to protect ourselves. Now, I am usually a good, law-abiding citizen; however, in my lifetime I admit I have broken the law several times. I have had my share of speeding tickets and thankfully, a few gracious, merciful warnings. Driving in a rural community after learning to drive in metro-Atlanta is a challenge for me, still, and I have lived here twenty-five years! They say old habits die hard! Although age and (hopefully) wisdom have settled me into a somewhat slower pace these days, I am still labeled the lead foot of the family. I admit it - I drive too fast most times and can be terribly impatient. It's in my DNA.

After the phone call from the policeman this morning, I learned that it apparently is in my daughter's DNA, as well. Yes ... we had a phone call from a very nice policeman this morning who pulled my precious daughter over for speeding on her way to school. After I got over the initial fright from hearing, "Mrs. Morgan, this is Officer ________ from the police department...," I was actually relieved that the news wasn't worse, (meaning, it could have been an accident) I learned that the punishment for a teenager going that fast is license suspension....until 18 years of age. Truthfully, that's punishment for the parent! Thankfully, he only issued a warning citation.
Now the decision has to be made on how we, as parents we will handle this violation. It could be harsh! And most likely, with her good memory, she will cite the time I was pulled over going almost the same speed in almost the same place. Hmmm.... Do as I say, not as I do....

Laws. Why do we need them? Well we need traffic laws for obvious reasons. Without them there would be mass confusion among drivers and a lot more accidents on the road. There are also physical laws that govern the physical universe. And most importantly, there are spiritual laws that govern your relationship with God. These are the four spiritual laws...

1. God LOVES you and offers a wonderful PLAN for your life.

2. Man is SINFUL and SEPARATED from God. Therefore, he cannot know and experience God's love and plan for his life.

3. Jesus Christ is God's ONLY provision for man's sin. Through Him you can know and experience God's love and plan for your life.

4. We must individually RECEIVE Jesus Christ as Savior and Lord; then we can know and experience God's love and plan for our lives.

You can go to http://www.campuscrusade.com/fourlawsflash.htm to view a power point on this.

Now. What to do about this genetic flaw that I passed down to my teenager? No car keys for awhile and this blog posting may be humiliation enough!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Gina that is so true we often give out commands that we don't follow ourselves. My son has often reminded me of that and I am tring to do as I say. Thank you Olivia Gooden