Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Parent Teacher Conference Day

As you may or may not know, Thursday is Parent-Teacher Conference Day in our local schools. I know it is a necessary thing, but I was thinking about the stress of juggling thirty-two conferences, with a smile on my face, in the days when I taught. What a migraine! Twenty of the conferences were always with parents of my Pre-K students and then there were the conferences with up to 12 teachers who taught my biological kids ... sometimes at three different schools. Well those days are gone, now just bittersweet memories.

I actually will be attending Parent Teacher conference for my baby girl (yes, at 16 she is still my baby) at her school Thursday night, but my boys are all grown up (somewhat) and now attend college. Quite a different world! I really am clueless as to what kind of work they are doing. There is no I-PARENT access (or SPY-PARENT, as Savannah-Jane refers to it).

Tonight Taylor called from Atlanta. After making small talk, I asked him exactly how his grades were.

He let out a sigh and said, "Mom, funny you mention that ... now you know this is not South Georgia College ... this is EMORY and things are a lot more difficult here ... I have to study all the time ... I actually got my first test score back today in my PRESIDENCY class ... and well, the professor remarked that the grades were pretty low overall, with the class average being 120 out of 150 ... now remember, this is my first test, Mom and uh, well ...

I only made a 149 out of 150 ... are you ok with that?"

It was the highest grade in the class.

Gotta love the nerd!

No comments: