Monday, October 20, 2008

Content

me - trying on one of many winter jackets at Mall of Georgia

I love jackets. I tried on no less than a dozen Saturday while in Atlanta. I was amazed at the variety ... all sorts of colors, lengths, patterns, and prices! I had a blast and didn't even make a purchase. It was difficult, but I only window- shopped this weekend. Seriously.

I thought about all those jackets today, especially when I searched in vain and came up empty for a cutesy, trendy, fun jacket to wrap up in before heading to town this morning. Ooohh...it would have been fun to throw on that stylish yellow jacket from American Eagle (I know I am too old for that store, but the jacket was precious) or maybe that fun green one from Old Navy. And then there was that classic black and white check one at TJ Maxx...Instead, I disappointingly put on my old denim jacket and headed out in my inferior, boring, mundane Monday attire. Learning to be content.

I have often heard, contentment is not about what you have. It is an attitude.

Paul says that he had learned how to be content in good times as well as hard times. His contentment was not anchored to the circumstances of life. A study of his life certainly validates this.

Paul told Timothy, "godliness with contentment is great gain. For we brought nothing into the world, and we can take nothing out of it. But if we have food and clothing, we will be content with that. People who want to get rich fall into temptation and a trap and into many foolish and harmful desires that plunge men into ruin and destruction. For the love of money is a root of all kinds of evil. Some people, eager for money, have wandered from the faith and pierced themselves with many griefs. But you, man of God, flee from all this, and pursue righteousness, godliness, faith, love, endurance and gentleness." 1 Timothy 6:6-11

This is a good story...

There was a king who was discontented. In fact he was so anxious, he couldn't sleep, rest, or think. He called his wise men and asked them what he could do.
One very old and very wise man said, "Find a man in your kingdom who is content, then wear his shirt for a day and a night, and you will be content."
That sounded like a good idea to the king, so he ordered some of his servants to search for such a person.
Days blended into weeks before his servants returned. "Well," said the king, "did you find a contented man?"
"Yes, sire," his servant replied.
"Where is his shirt?" asked the king.
"Your majesty, he didn't have one."

No comments: