Friday, October 3, 2008

Is that really a pumpkin?


‘Beauty is no quality in things themselves:
It exists merely in the mind which contemplates them.’
-David Hume
I was always told 'beauty is in the eye of the beholder.'
The minute I saw it, the bumpy pumpkin, as it has been since named, I knew I had to have it. I was really attracted to it.
He said, "Is that really a pumpkin? It's so ugly! It looks more like a Chinese Shar-Pei than a pumpkin. Look at all these normal ones ... orange, smooth, perfect for carving."
Realizing I was oddly attracted to its ugly-beauty, and perhaps trying to redeem his insult to the unusual ghourd, he placed it in my cart and said, "it's yours...now, tell me what you are going to do with it."
I beamed like a child that had just opened a much-wanted Christmas gift. Rubbing my hands over its peculiar, pitted surface I replied, "it will be the centerpiece on the kitchen counter...it will usher in this season with its natural one-of-kind beauty."
Now I realize being a Halloween baby, (yes, I was born on Halloween) and being naturally drawn to Fall traditions and the sort, one might expect I would decorate my home according to this season. You would be correct in your assumption. However, this Fall I have minimalized the excessive decorations and gone for a more natural approach. The bumpy pumpkin is perfect for my theme.
I thought about why the bumpy pumpkin attracted me. I came to a conclusion. It's about being different, diverse. dissimilar. Not being a carbon copy. Being who you are ... even if you are just a bumpy pumpkin.
Now that's real beauty.

No comments: