Thursday, May 15, 2008

Rocking Chair

Be to me a rock of refuge
in which to dwell,
and a sheltering stronghold
to which I may continually resort,
which You have appointed
to save me,
for You are my Rock
and my Fortress.
Psalm 71:3



Ignoring all caution and warning, in impatient desperation I stepped up into the seat of the rocking chair to boost me up to a new height. A dangerous position to be in, to say the least. The unstable, wobbly, rocking chair swayed, throwing my balance off. I fell back attempting to catch myself. The hard floor caught me instead, jarring me, bruising me. I picked myself up off the floor. Too late, I concluded, rocking chairs were not intended to be step stools.

How often I fall and fail! Attempting to stretch and reach new heights, to touch His face when all I need to do is sit. He will come to me if I am willing to be embraced, to be held, and calmed.


These arms have rocked three babes. I remember the joy of holding them in my arms, calming them until their little bodies relented and fell asleep. What peace. Restful, calm, sleep.

Lord help me to concede, surrender, and rest in your arms.

Be patient, o soul. Worship Him at all times. Breathe. Take everything in.

He is with me in this place.

Psalm 73:28 says, But it is good for me to draw near to God; I have put my trust in the Lord God and made Him my refuge, that I may tell of all Your works.

No comments: