Monday, May 5, 2008

Meditating On His Word



But his delight is in the law of the LORD,
and on his law he meditates day and night.
Psalm 1:2


I have never been a coffee drinker, but while in Bermuda in October where afternoon tea is taken daily, I developed a taste for hot tea. My oldest son is proud of his mom's most recently developed habit. He is somewhat of a health expert and testifies of the benefits of tea drinking.
I watched my son prepare a cup of hot green tea yesterday. I was certain that the water wasn't hot enough because it took longer than usual for the water to change color. But as he waited patiently, allowing the bag to steep in the hot water, soaking it thoroughly, the contents of the tea bag eventually permeated the water. Had he removed it too quickly, the tea would have been weak, having little flavor.
This made me think of how I need to meditate on the Word more every day, allowing it to soak into my spirit.
Ponder
Reflect
Contemplate
Consider
Review
Repeat
Think
Analyze
Feel
Enjoy
In our culture it seems we all desire busyness and actvity instead of just getting quiet and still. Because of this I believe we often miss out on the richness of the promises and blessings in the Scriptures. We are impatient. Therefore we are like weak tea...no flavor....bland and tasteless.
Thomas Watson wrote, The reason we come away so cold from reading the Word is, because we do not warm ourselves at the fire of meditation.


I meditate on your precepts and consider your ways. Psalm 119:15

No comments: