Thursday, May 29, 2008

Overcomer


In this world you will have trouble.
But take heart!
I have OVERCOME the world!
John 16:33


Since the discouraging surrender of my personal goal to run in the Peachtree Road Race on July 4 because of a weak ankle caused by a bone cyst (noncancerous, fluid-filled cavity within the bone), I have been slack in any type of exercise program and haven't been eating as healthy as I should. So this week I determined that I would return to exercise and healthy eating habits. To return is painful.

Zoe Elmore says, "The pain and struggle of "returning" to a healthy lifestyle after a self-imposed exile in "The Land of Me" is just that; a painful struggle! When the hard work of life (physically and spiritually) enters our lives it is tempting to retreat back into 'the Land of Me' in order to comfort and soothe ourselves instead of going to God; the great comforter."

It's all about perseverance...a steady persistence in a course of action, a purpose, a state, in spite of difficulties, obstacles, or discouragement. How often I am tempted to give up only to be satisfied with a temporal fix! Father, forgive me for drawing back, recoiling in times of difficulty. Help me to rely on You to overcome those things in my life that get in the way of glorifying and honoring you.

No comments: