Saturday, January 19, 2008

January 19, 2008


Therefore everyone who hears these words of mine and puts them into practice is like a wise man who built his house on the rock. The rain came down, the streams rose, and the winds blew and beat against that house; yet it did not fall, because it had its foundation on the rock. But everyone who hears these words of mine and does not put them into practice is like a foolish man who built his house on sand. The rain came down, the streams rose, and the winds blew and beat against that house, and it fell with a great crash. Matthew 7:24 - 27

I remember attending my grandmother and grandfather's church at a very young age and learning the song… "The Wise Man Built His House Upon the Rock.." With all the wonderful rain we have had this week, I found myself humming that little tune in my head. I also started thinking about the storms that have come into my life recently. I believe the trials and tests that ultimately come our way will reveal our true foundation of life: sand or rock? The house built on sand appears good as long as there is no storm. The house built on the Rock, Jesus Christ will never be destroyed. Build your life on Christ instead of the wavering, false substitutes. Our Lord will always uphold you with His righteous, omnipotent hand when the storms of life approach.
On Christ the Solid Rock I Stand!



My hope is built on nothing less
Than Jesus’ blood and righteousness;

I dare not trust the sweetest frame,
But wholly lean on Jesus’ name.
When darkness veils His lovely face,

I rest on His unchanging grace;

In every high and stormy gale,

My anchor holds within the veil.
His oath, His covenant, His blood

Support me in the whelming flood;

When all around my soul gives way,

He then is all my hope and stay.
When He shall come with trumpet sound,

Oh, may I then in Him be found;

Dressed in His righteousness alone,

Faultless to stand before the throne.
On Christ, the solid Rock, I stand;

All other ground is sinking sand,

All other ground is sinking sand.


—Edward Mote (1797-1874)

No comments: