Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Trust

"... Does it mean he no longer loves us if we have trouble or calamity, or are persecuted, or hungry, or destitute, or in danger, or threatened with death? ... And I am convinced that nothing can ever separate us from God's love ..."
Romans 8:35, 38, NLT
The Heidelberg Catechism begins "My only comfort in life and in death is that I am not my own but belong body and soul, in life and in death, to my faithful Savior Jesus Christ."
For me. it's all about trust these days. The lesson that I must learn and re-learn is to simply trust God. . . . Trusting that He has an infinite plan beyond my finite plan . . . . Trusting that in everything He really will work it out for the good of those who love Him . . . . Trusting that His love is truly sufficient to carry me through good times and bad times.
I stumbled across an article today from a magazine called Modern Reformation. The article was an interview of Lisa Beamer. Lisa's husband Todd was on flight 93 that went down in Pennsylvania on September 11, 2001. He was the one who said, "Let’s Roll!" He left behind Lisa and three small children.
In the article Lisa says,
"We aren’t privy to the perspective he has and shouldn’t claim to know better than he does what should happen and what shouldn’t. . . . Faith means that, regardless of circumstances, we take him at his word that he loves us and will bring us to a good result if we just trust and obey him . . . . God knew the terrible choices the terrorists would make and that Todd Beamer would die as a result. He knew my children would be left without a father and me without a husband . . . . Yet in his sovereignty and in his perspective on the big picture, he knew it was better to allow the events to unfold as they did rather than redirect Todd’s plans to avoid death. . . . I can’t see all the reasons he might have allowed this when I know he could have stopped it . . . . . I don’t like how his plan looks from my perspective right now, but knowing that he loves me and can see the world from start to finish helps me say, ‘It’s OK.’ . . . . if we believe wholeheartedly, each moment, that our destiny rests in the hands of Jesus Christ - the one with ultimate love and ultimate power - what do we have to be concerned about? Of course, our humanity clouds this truth many times but hanging on to glimpses of it keeps everything in perspective."
It really is all about trust. . . . a firm reliance on the integrity, ability, and character of You, Lord. How I long to trust you completely! I confess my trust in You is not what it needs to be. Help me to lean not on my own understanding. Thank you for your patience with me.

No comments: