Saturday, September 13, 2008

Just Wondering...


I just finished reading the book, THE SHACK which was highly recommended to me by a fellow Christian. It was a gripping, emotional novel and in my opinion, just that ... another novel. I admit I really enjoyed it, but I also admit that there were definitely some things I did not totally agree with concerning the portrayal of God, Jesus, and the Holy Spirit. Admittedly, since I don't look at this book as truth and I firmly believe only the Bible contains absolute truth, I don't think I was threatened in my faith after reading this book. However, I do wonder what other Christians think about it and if there is any danger in reading THE SHACK.
Just wondering.
Let me hear from you concerning THE SHACK.

Here are some quotes from the book that caused me to wonder ...
Those who love me come from every system that exists. They were Buddhists or Mormons, Baptists or Muslims ... I have no desire to make them Christian, but I do want to join them in their transformation into sons and daughters of my Papa, into my brothers and sisters. --The Shack's 'Jesus.' [p.182]
'Who said anything about being a Christian? I'm not a Christian.' The idea struck Mack as odd and unexpected and he couldn’t keep himself from grinning. 'No, I suppose you aren't."[p.182]
Although by nature he is fully God, Jesus is fully human and lives as such. While never losing the innate ability to fly [which he demonstrates in the book], he chooses moment-by-moment to remain grounded. That is why his name is Immanuel, God with us....[p.99-100]
Why would the God of the universe want to be submitted to me?
"Because we want you to join us in our circle of relationships," answers "Jesus." [p.145]
Together the "trinity" explains:"Authority, as you usually think of it, is merely the excuse the strong use to make others conform to what they want.... We carefully respect your choices...." [p.123]
"'Are you saying I don't have to follow the rules?'..."'Yes. In Jesus you are not under any law. All things are lawful.'"'You can't be serious! You're messing with me again,' moaned Mack."'Child,' interrupted papa, 'you ain't heard nuthin' yet.'..."'...enforcing rules [says Sarayu] ...is a vain attempt to create certainty out of uncertainty. And contrary to what you might think, I have a great fondness for uncertainty. Rules cannot bring freedom; they only have the power to accuse.'"[ p.203]
'God' of The Shack said: "I'm not a bully, not some self-centered demanding little deity insisting on my own way. I am good, and I desire only what is best for you. You cannot find that through guilt or condemnation...."[p.126]"
You don't need me at all to create your list of good and evil. But you do need me if you have any desire to stop such an insane lust for independence.... Mackenzie, evil is a word we use to describe the absence of Good, just as we use the word darkness to describe the absence of Light. ...evil and darkness can only be understood in relation to Light and Good; they do not have any actual existence."[p.136]

No comments: