Thursday, September 11, 2008

Melissa, Sweet Melissa



Blessed are those who mourn,
for they will be comforted.
Matthew 5:4

She was a daughter, a sister, an aunt, a wife, and mother of two precious girls...and she was my first cousin. Melissa, sweet Melissa. Tragically, her life was taken on Monday and now there are so many aching hearts and unanswered questions. I don't know why this had to happen to Melissa. Today I thought about all the good times we had at Daytona when we were younger and I am certain that she is enjoying one of Heaven's beaches right now... soaking up the Son's rays.
I know it is more than a consequence that when I heard of Melissa's death, I was in the middle of a book called THE SHACK.
THE SHACK is about a guy named Mack whose little daughter, Melissa is abducted and murdered. Several despairing years later, Mack encounters God in the very shack where his daughter's life was taken. The majority of the novel spans three days of conversations between Mack, and God "the Father," the "Son" and the "Holy Spirit." Most of the dialogue in the book is about the problem of evil, but the novel covers the Trinity, Incarnation and the nature of free will to the nature of relationships, and forgiveness. I won't say anymore because I don't want to spoil it for you if you decide to read it.
I have posted some quotes below from the book that definitely struck a chord with me as I try to make some sense of this senseless tragedy. For I reckon that the sufferings of this present time [are] not worthy [to be compared] with the glory which shall be revealed in us. Romans 8:18

God: “Just because I work incredible good out of unspeakable tragedies doesn’t mean I orchestrate the tragedies.” Pg 185

God: “I did not purpose Missy’s death, but that doesn’t mean I can’t use it for good.”
Pg 222

No comments: