Tuesday, September 2, 2008

A Miracle Baby!


No, this is not Malli dressed in blue, it's Griff at 4 months old!
Nineteen years ago today I gave birth to this cute little baby boy ---
William Griffis Morgan, our "Griff."
A premature birth due to a viral infection nearly cost him his life. His liver shut down, his bone marrow stopped producing platelets, and he had to undergo a blood transfusion. Hospitalized in NICU, doctors gave us little hope of taking home a healthy baby. It looked hopeless.
One night I fell to my knees and cried out to God,
He belongs to You. Do what You will with this child. I give him to You. I surrender. He doesn't belong to me. I am only his mother, You are His God.
The very next morning doctors and nurses were sure that the results from the 7 am blood work was a mistake when tests revealed Griff's platelet count had tripled overnight! They were so sure it was wrong that they re-tested him.
No mistake! God had healed him.
The doctors and nurses were speechless. Griff was released that afternoon from NICU and on his way home. Further tests showed a completely healthy liver and perfectly functioning bone marrow.
What a blessing Griff is to our family. Through him God has taught me much....and is still teaching me. I wish I could say that the prayer of surrender in 1989 was the one and only time I had to fall on my knees on behalf of Griff. However, I am thick-headed and very stubborn! So instead I often choose to fret and worry when all I need to do is release him to the One who loves Him more than I do. Sounds simple, but it is difficult this trusting...this walking by faith, not by sight...this surrender.
Surrender means to yield ownership, to relinquish control over what we consider ours: our property, our time, our rights, even a child. When we surrender to God, we are simply acknowledging that what we "own" actually belongs to Him. He is the giver of all good things. We are stewards of His property, but by surrendering to God, we admit that He is ultimately in control of everything, including our present circumstances.

No comments: