Sunday, January 3, 2010

Two for One


I made some oatmeal raisin cookies. I just had to answer the call to make one more naughty thing before "D" (diet) day...which starts at, well, tomorrow!

I had oatmeal cookies on the brain all day, well, really since last night. See, I was in Publix...the only supermarket worthy of being called super in my book, when I happened upon their wonderful buy Two for One display. Each week they offer name brand products...things you really, actually will use and want at two for the price of one. Love it. One of the many items in this weeks' offer was Quaker Oatmeal in the round cardboard box...really, is there any other? I tossed two of these beauties in the buggy. And later, tossing in my dreams were delicious homemade oatmeal cookies.

This afternoon, husband drove out deep in the forest, well it is way out ... even more isolated that we are ... to get some firewood. He didn't have to actually chop any because my sweet parents gave us some from their stash. Ahhh....the first noted blessings of the New Year....my generous parents and free firewood. But, wait I can't stop there. My mother sent home some freshly-baked oatmeal cookies ... only two, strangely.

I got to thinking... how funny that she made oatmeal cookies today and I have been wanting some all day. Hmmm...great minds think alike, I guess. Well, since two measley oatmeal cookies were not enough to satisfy this one and I really wanted to offer some to my husband and lone child left at home I proceeded to  get out the two for one oatmeal, mixing bowls, hand-held beater and whip up some of my own.

They turned out pretty good and I must say they are even more delicious with a glass of organic milk by the fire. Two for one. One for two. Whatever. Eat to your heart's delight.

Mmmm...this makes winter almost tolerable. Almost.

Here's the recipe ...

Oatmeal Cookies 


1 cup all purpose flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1 stick butter, softened
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/3 cup brown sugar
1 egg
2 Tbsp milk
2 Tbsp vanilla
1 cup Quaker Oats
1/4 cup chopped pecan
1/4 cup raisins


Stir together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. In mixer bowl beat butter for 30 seconds; add sugars and beat til fluffy. Add egg, milk, and vanilla. Beat well. Add dry ingredients to beaten mixture, beating til well combined. Stir in oats, pecans and raisins. Drop by spoonfuls on greased baking sheet. Bake at 375 for 10 minutes. 

No comments: