Sunday, January 17, 2010

Eggplant Italiana


Although reportedly my ancestors were from Scotland, Ireland and Wales I like to believe that somewhere there is a little Italian blood in the mix. I mean my name is Gina, after all! And there's the obvious fact (at least to my family)  that I could eat Italian every day of my life. 


I played it safe for years. Cooking and serving up spaghetti and sometimes lasagna to my family and friends. Many a starving teen from our neck of the woods have filled up on Gina's specialty spaghetti and meatballs. And  that was about as creative as it got. 


But things are changing. I have stepped out. I am getting brave, risky, and trying out new Italian recipes along with my budding culinary expertise of a daughter.


Last week we concocted a delicious and simple Italian meal for a dish we call Eggplant Italiana.  I wish I had a picture to share, but instead I will provide you with some nice Italian music. And, of course the recipe....


Eggplant Italiana


eggplant, peeled and cubed
onion, chopped 
bell pepper, chopped
cherry tomatoes, chopped 
garlic clove, minced
olive oil


Sautee above ingredients in olive oil. Pour your favorite sauce (I use Del Monte ... it's cheap) over this mixture and heat well. Serve over your favorite pasta. Grate fresh Parmesan cheese and sprinkle on top before serving. Enjoy with a green salad, fresh garlic bread, and your favorite beverage.

No comments: