Monday, January 4, 2010

Exercise

Develop an attitude of gratitude, and give thanks for everything 
that happens to you, knowing that every step forward
 is a step toward achieving something bigger and better
 than your current situation.
-unknown

I went back to the gym today. It has been awhile. When I logged into the blasted computer, it even reminded me how long it had been. Sometimes I despise technology!

See, I know how important exercise is. I really love it once I get there and it makes me  feel so much better physically and mentally. It's just a matter of sticking to it...getting into the daily routine of doing it. 

They say three to four weeks is all the time you need to make a habit automatic. If you can make it through the initial conditioning phase, it becomes much easier to sustain. A month is a good block of time to commit to a change since it easily fits in your calendar.

Well, that's my challenge. To stick to this exercise regimen for four weeks, long enough to make it automatic. Like brushing my teeth. 

Reminds me of how my attitude of gratitude needs to get back in shape, too.
I know you will agree, its a lot easier to feel thankful when everything is going smoothly and you are handed blessings. But what about those times (and they seem too often for me lately) when we are faced with ongoing trials and challenges. You know...debt, unemployment, depression, relationship troubles, illness, etc?

Well, again a daily commitment...a routine. 


I didn't go to the gym to show off my new running shoes. No, I went because I need to make this an integral part of my life...to firm up my muscles, tone up and trim down, get this heart muscle going so I can enjoy this life and not sit on the sidelines. 

So, along with this new physical workout I recommit to being more aware of the blessings in my life. Making it a daily practice.



And the 1000 gifts list continues....

612. clear sky

613. warm, blazing fire

614. warm, worn bedroom shoes

615. socks

616. broccoli sprouting

617. sweat

618. heart pumping

619. crushed ice

620. food to cook for family

621. smile from a stranger

622. unharvested cotton field

623. phone call from oldest son

624. love note text  from husband

625. a dust ruffle for daughter's bed found on sale

No comments: