Monday, May 4, 2009

I once was blind and comatose...

Woe to you, teachers of the law and Pharisees,
you hypocrites!
You are like whitewashed tombs,
which look beautiful on the outside
but on the inside are full of dead men’s bones
and everything unclean.
Matthew 23:27



It has taken some not-so-pleasant happenings in my personal life to wake me from my blind and comatose state. You see, for far too long I assumed that a building with a sign outside indicated whether or not Jesus resided in a place. At one time I even apologized to my children for not being able to afford to put them in a 'Christian school.'
It would be safe to say that I have had an arrogant attitude and it became easy to play God, judging, condemning. I recognize now how foolish it was to try to define God and attempt to limit who He is.

His grace knows no boundaries.


Yes, you could accurately say that in the past four years I have learned humility and recognized that God is God and I am not.

He is is omnipotent and omnipresent.


Personally, I have seen Jesus in many places outside the walls of churches or religious meetings. Yes, I have experienced His love in some non-traditional places.

His redeeming grace and mercy is for all. Anywhere. Anytime. Anyplace.


If you will recall, Jesus didn’t spend much time inside religious institutions, in fact He often rebuked the Pharisees. Instead He went out among the people, healing and preaching the Good News. In love. Not out of self-righteousness, pity, or superiority.

Simply love.

Oh, Father thank you for opening my eyes. Forgive me for my blindness. Lead me where you would have me go. Not in the footsteps of man, but in your footsteps alone.

No comments: