Monday, May 4, 2009

Making room


Taylor is away at college. Griff is married now. The upstairs bedroom is empty where my boys that grew into men slept. Empty. The room, a little too uncluttered for my taste. I resist the temptation to scatter some clothes on the floor, pull back the comforters on their beds, toss a few towels here and there.

Then the ringing of the phone interrupts the silence.

Stressed out single-mom/sister has taken a new job and must get up before daybreak. Niece will need a ride to school. They ask if I can take niece to school. Niece wants her mother to stay with her. They ask if they can both sleep over.

My answer: Of course!

I'll need to change the linens, spot-dust, and that bathroom must be cleaned, too. Lay out fresh towels. Oh, and they will want something to eat when they get here. I could warm up the pasta from supper.

Suddenly that empty room has become a home away from home for two. And I am pleased.

My father-in-law once told me I had the gift of hospitality. I don't know if that's true, but I do know I enjoy making others feel welcome. I think that is how we are supposed to live. Always eager to extend grace. It should be a way of life because of the grace God extended to us.
It would seem that continually extending grace and mercy to me would be difficult for Jesus. I am so hard-headed and stubborn at times. But He always welcomes me into His loving arms. The Grace Giver.

Gotta go. They will need some blueberry muffins for breakfast.

No comments: