Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Mary, Did You Know?


I sat down and listened to several Christmas songs performed by all types of artists on youtube.com with Griff tonight. Some of the artists included Selah, David Phelps, and even pop-artist Christina Aguilera. We came across one of my favorite Christmas songs, Mary Did You Know. I discovered that the lyrics for this song were written by Mark Lowry and the music was written by Buddy Greene. Go here to read about the inspiration behind the lyrics. http://www.christianitytoday.com/tc/2002/006/16.18.html

This song has been sung by many talented artists; however, I will never forget the first time I ever heard this song or the beautiful voice of one who sang it when I took part in a church Christmas program back in December of 1989. I remember I was asked to be Mary, Guy was Joseph, and Griff, just a newborn, played the part of baby Jesus in the manger. The person who sang the song so beautifully was the late Michelle George. When Michelle sang, I wept openly and unashamedly in front of a very large crowd. The Spirit of God moved in that church that night!We were actors on a stage but the Holy Spirit flowed so powerfully that there was no need for our humble, inadequate performance. Even Baby Griff raised his hands lying in that make-shift manger, as if to praise God.
I still weep when I hear that song. It is truly inspired by God.

As a mother, I often wonder ... did Mary have the same emotions, thoughts, and feelings for her child? And as she held that child, the Christ child, and kissed the face of Abba Father, God, I wonder... did she doubt, did she ever question, did she worry, did her heart break?
Of course the answer is yes. In her sacrifice to be a vessel for the Savior of man, she was just a regular, common mother. Yet in that, she was a servant of the Most High, the great I AM. That's all He asks of me. To serve Him and to be a vessel, too. This regular, common mother.


Did you know
That your baby boy will one day rule the nations?
Did you know
That your baby boy is heavens perfect lamb?
This sleeping child youre holding
Is the great I am.

No comments: