Monday, December 15, 2008

The Grinch That Stole Christmas


O. K. admittedly, the presents were cheap, but good cheap. And keep in mind that anything wrapped or packaged is considered wonderful in the eyes of a child. This is the Christmas season and any teacher worth her salt will provide something for her little angels so I figured the bubbles, pencils, kaleidoscopes, coloring books, and crayons would surely be a hit with four-year olds. And they would have been. No doubt about it.

But, wait, let me take you back to 12:30 pm today. The time that the crime was actually discovered. That's right. A crime.

Children nestled all snug on their cots. It's less than 24 hours til our class Christmas party in Pre-K. Excitement is mounting. Christmas cd playing softly. There is rumor that there will be a visit from the real Santa tomorrow, and we are ordering pizza! And there will be presents! "Presents. Hmmm....the presents. Now, where are those presents,?" (Yes I talk to myself) "They were in a large Rubbermaid box. I need to wrap them today. Where is that box?," I continue. So two frantic teachers look, search, plunder. They turn classroom upside down, searching for the presents but sadly come up empty-handed. So, it was obvious. Sad, but true! The presents were stolen! Those good cheap presents snatched. The thief took the entire box with its contents!

Now, if you think this is something I have made up in my foggy little noggin', you are wrong, my friend! This is non-fictional posting! It is a fact! The presents were really stolen, stolen from right under our noses! They are nowhere to be found. No joke! I'm serious! The bubble, the pencils, the kaleidoscopes, the coloring books, and the crayons ... all snatched up ... even the cute little gift bags ... all gone! If you found yourself thinking this sounds a lot like a tale you have heard before, then you are correct! Even if it is a Dr. Seuss tale.

Remember the Dr. Seuss story of How The Grinch Stole Christmas? The Grinch, jealous of the Whos' happiness, descends on the town taking all their Christmas presents and decorations in an attempt to "prevent Christmas from coming." However, he learns in the end that despite his success in stealing all the Christmas presents and decorations from the Whos, Christmas comes just the same. He then realizes that Christmas is more than just gifts and presents. His heart grows three sizes larger, he returns all the presents and trimmings, and is warmly welcomed into the community of the Whos.

Well, I don't know who our Grinch is. And since I am really not into crime-solving matters, and I doubt the gifts will ever be returned, I decided to just go to Wal-Mart and buy some more good cheap presents. I just can't bear the thought of a gift-less party tomorrow for these precious ones. I am not going to let it spoil my day! That's right. The Grinch can't touch this! Or the party tomorrow! We are ordering pizza after all!
But more importantly and more seriously, I am reminded today that Christmas will still come, no matter what. No matter what is going on around me. No matter who attempts to take my joy away. I believe nothing and no one can steal it away. The joy I possess is because of that gift that was given long ago. A free gift. The gift of love. His son. Jesus! Have you unwrapped the gift?

No comments: