Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Let the closet go!

This is the day which the LORD hath made;
we will rejoice and be glad in it.
Psalm 118:24

Ahhh! The chance to sleep in. I kissed husband good-bye and crawled back in the bed, snuggled under the blankets, got all comfy and dozed off to sleep. Sweet slumber.
But not for long. The telephone rang interrupting my dreamland. The voice on the other end was familiar. Could I please come and help at Pop's office? The nurse was out sick and they were short-handed. Too groggy to think up any valid excuses, I hesitantly agreed. As I stumbled to the shower muttering to myself, I wondered what my day would be like now. Instead of sleeping in and leisurely attending to one of my many holiday projects of cleaning out a closet I would instead face people with with coughs, fevers, and all sorts of ailments. Lovely. Not my idea of a good day.

In the silence of the shower, I heard it. I heard His tender voice speak my name. "Gina, this is the day I have made. Rejoice and be glad in it." So I stood there, letting these words wash over me, cleansing me of my selfishness. I asked Abba to give me what I don't have on my own - whatever these sick people would need from me today. Give me strength, Lord. Me, this wife/mom/grandmother/teacher and reluctant substitute nurse. I wondered what He would choose to do. And marveled at what He had already done.
At the office, most of the people I came in contact with were well beyond my age. Most were elderly (over 70). One particular lady was 96. On February 10th she will be 97 to be exact. Other than the fact that she has to walk with the assistance of a cane and her eyesight is failing, the woman is in perfect health. She had a beautiful smile, great wit, and unblemished skin. (she uses Oil of Olay, if you're wondering like I did) I felt drawn to her and we struck up a conversation easily. She needed some assistance undressing and dressing because of a bad shoulder and she was so grateful and appreciative for my help. I didn't mind at all. She was a gentle, humble spirit sharing stories of her children, grandchildren, and great grandchildren. She told me how she had to give up driving because of her bad eyes. She said she still loved to get out and do things and admitted that she would soon have to be getting a wheelchair to get around because her balance is a little off. She said she had been a member of a woman's club for over 70 years and that she was a postal clerk at one time. I enjoyed hearing her tell about her life. She was a classy southern lady, this lady twice my age. When her examination was complete and she was fully dressed, all three layers, she hugged me and told me "it was so nice to meet you, you are so kind, and you made my day, this day He gave me," then she kissed me on the cheek.

Me? I questioned. I made someone's day? Then I remembered that encounter in the shower this morning. I kissed her cheek and told her "You have blessed me so much and it was a pleasure to be able to share this day with you." And it was. This day that He made. And I rejoiced! And to think I could have missed it all cleaning out a closet.

No comments: