Monday, July 14, 2008

Overwhelmed

Stone Mountain, the largest known granite formation

When my heart is overwhelmed;
Lead me to the rock that is higher than I.
Psalm 61:2


I spent a lot of time at Stone Mountain Park as a young person. Between 1972 and 1983 I lived less than five miles from the park and frequented it often on daily jogs. I also recall climbing the mountain many times with friends. Not an easy haul even when I was in good shape. The mountain rises approximately 780 feet above the land surface. To arrive at the top and see the skyline of Atlanta from a bird's eye view is absolutely breathtaking.
Now I have no desire to trek up Stone Mountain any time soon, but I do feel like I am fighting an uphill battle today, a mountain of responsibility.
I am just a little overwhelmed with all that I must do in the next few weeks. To keep this household running, I must be willing to hold several jobs .... a mother, a lover, a gardener, a disciplinarian, a cook, a secretary, a teacher, a counselor, a launderer, a nurse - just to name a few. My plate is full to say the least!
Then along with the blessing and opportunity for ministry in Trinidad I have added responsibility of preparing VBS for 200 children, planning a teacher workshop and a parent workshop at the church's Special Ed school, helping plan four Youth nights, and a visit to an orphanage.
With all of these tasks at hand I don't want to miss the joy of the journey. Jesus, my Lord and Saviour is the reason for all I do. I don't want to get stressed out and miss out on what He wants to teach me. I am keenly aware that even well-intended, godly acts can be disastrous if Christ is not in the center. It is times like these that put my faith to the test...just another test.
I asked myself these questions today...

Where does my strength really come from?

How can I keep Christ in the middle of it all?

How can I be joyful and delight in the Lord when there is so much to do?

Psalm 121:1-2 says I lift up my eyes to the hills-- where does my help come from? My help comes from the LORD, the Maker of heaven and earth.
I must go to the Rock that is higher than myself and allow Him to be my source, my reservoir of strength, my wisdom, my peace, and my joy today. Christ the Rock will not be moved!

No comments: