Monday, February 16, 2009

Rejoice always ...

Starbucks Therapy Session - 2/14/09
Rejoice always,
pray without ceasing,
give thanks in all circumstances;
for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you.

1 Thessalonians 5:16-18


This past weekend was filled with many different experiences. There was the excitement of cheering for state-qualifying swimmers. Then there was the fun of just hanging out with my family. We did minimal shopping, visiting Target, Old Navy, Marshall's, and TJ Maxx, and did lots of window-shopping at Perimeter Mall. One hangout we frequented was STARBUCKS. On Saturday night, we were there for two hours talking, laughing, even crying long after the coffee was gone. A lot of different things were shared. Dreams. Joys. Fears. Hurt. Concerns. And Wisdom. At one point I announced that I often feel like running away from it all. The messy, the grimy, the confrontational part of life. That's when my 10-year old niece chimed in...

Running from your problems
will never solve them!

That was profound coming from her and we all had to take notice. One of those 'Out of the mouths of babes' moments, ya know?


Well, if you're a Christian, you know that Christianity is supposed to be about joy, in spite of circumstances. I know that, but lately I have had a hard time living that out. I was reminded of some simple, but crucial truths through the dear people, those closest to me, as I spent my time with them this weekend. God used these people to speak to my heart as I walk through yet another fire.


When I got home and off to myself, I revisited some familiar scriptures and even a favorite quote by John Newton.


In the first part of Romans 8, Paul talks about how things go wrong because the world we live in is full of evil and sin. We are often shocked when things go wrong. As a Believer, I am reminded that anything that goes well is a miracle of grace.

And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose. Romans 8:28

Who shall separate us from the love of Christ? shall tribulation, or distress, or persecution, or famine, or nakedness, or peril, or sword? Romans 8:35

Everything is necessary that he sends. Nothing can be necessary that he withholds.”- John Newton

No comments: