Sunday, August 2, 2009

Transition

You can make many plans,
but the Lord’s purpose will prevail.
Proverbs 19:21



Transition....passage from one form, state, style, or place to another.

That word, transition defines me at this moment.

I am not fond of change, especially the older I get. It is uncomfortable. Goes against my grain.

For a long time, almost 22 years, I have been a mother. I really like that job. I am comfortable with that position. Love it. And for many of those years I have also been a school teacher. I was comfortable with that position, too.

However, children grow up. They do not need you in the same way. Which is the object of the game, so to speak. I mean, that is the goal, right? Nevertheless, this is an adjustment, a transition for the mom when their children become adults.

And all I have ever done is teach, but teaching jobs have been cut in our county and there are threats that more jobs will be cut. I have applied, interviewed but nothing is available.

So, two of the defining roles in my life have been altered, changed, even omitted from my life.
As a result, I am trying to re-defne who I am, what my purpose is all over again.

I am learning to let go and mother in a different way and I am applying for a job out of field. It's a change, something different, transition. And I am not a happy camper.

As I meditated on this today, I came across some notes on a Scott Presson devotion. He said, "...that God’s will is always changing us. He is always transforming us and molding us to be something different than we are. In the Word, God even refers to Himself as a potter and we are His clay. It’s an easy image to see. A lump of clay is shaped into a vessel and then refined in the fire until it is becomes purified and hardened. Only then is worthy of use. Change is never comfortable but it is a fact of life and it is the will of God. We are changed as we grow in age and maturity. We are changed when we accept Christ into our hearts. We are changed as we move deeper into a relationship with God and accept His will in our lives.
God is refining us in His furnance. God is molding us into vessels that glorify Him. This time of transition is going to make us feel uncomfortable but it is God’s will. We all have certain things in life that we want and even have planned for. Some of those plans will undoubtedly be disrupted. Don’t fret.


So here I am learning to trust Him...allowing Him to have His way. Casting all my anxiety on him because he cares for me. (1 Peter 5:7)

I am so thankful that He is patient with me. What a loving Father He is.

1 comment:

Gina said...

Hey girl. I'll be praying for you. I didn't have to transition everything at once but I've been there so I know how it feels. God is good and faithful. He is not limited by what role you had before or what you were "trained" to do. When I left my comfort zone, I was confronted with my self reliance. Resting in Him/Trusting Him is a much better place to be. Let me know how it's going.