Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Pond Skater




How incredible nature is. I am constantly amazed at the whispered lessons God has taught me as I marvel at His creation.

At sunrise this morning, I gazed at an insect called a pond skater darting and skimming across the pond, its feet dimpling the surface tension. Funny how he seemed to just scoot across the pond as if it were a solid surface, unmindful of the deep waters below.

Later in the morning, a friend called. An invitation to dinner for husband and myself. We talked. We shared. She understands. Encouragement.

She talked about the disciple Peter in the storm. The fisherman. After feeding the five thousand, Jesus sent his disciples ahead of him in a boat to cross the Sea of Galilee. Several hours later in the night, the disciples encountered a storm. Jesus comes to them, walking on the water. This terrified the disciples and they think they are seeing a ghost. Jesus tells them in verse 27,
"Take courage! It is I. Don't be afraid."
Peter replies,
"Lord, if it's you, tell me to come to you on the water."
So Jesus invites Peter to come. Peter gets out of the boat and begins walking on the water toward Jesus. But when Peter takes his eyes off Jesus and sees the wind and waves, he begins to sink. Peter cries out to the Lord and Jesus immediately reaches out his hand and catches Peter. As they climb into the boat together, the storm ceases. Then the disciples worship Jesus, saying,
"Truly you are the Son of God."

Sometimes I feel as if I am sinking. I look around at the circumstances of my life and at the storms and think I’m going under! Everything is going wrong! No matter how hard I try, all I get is problems and more problems and more problems!
Today, I choose to look to you, Jesus. I take your hand. I fix my eyes on you and not on the storm. I will have peace as I settle my heart on your love and not on the underlying current that threatens to pull me under. Thank you that you are my constant anchor.
I will not drown! Because in these waters I tread, I, too am like a pond skater. Dimpling the surface. Skimming. Not sinking. Maybe I won't be pulled from them. I may have to go through them. But I am not alone. Just more of that clinging and confiding in Him as we walk together across this surface. This stormy place.

No comments: