Friday, January 2, 2009

Resolution

Be of good courage,
and he shall strengthen your heart,
all ye that hope in the LORD.
Psalm 31:24

According to my dictionary, resolution means the act of resolving or determining upon an action or course of action, method, procedure, etc. Many a resolutions are made and broken each year. All with good intentions.
Every year I make at least one resolution. Usually it is one that involves a commitment to lose weight, exercise daily, trim and tone this forty-something body, etc. You get the point.
Being temporarily sane, I have decided to forgo making any grandiose resolutions this year. That's right. Call it learning from my mistakes, or just being realistic, but I have come to grips with my condition. I am hopeless. I have the willpower of a starved great white shark when it comes to resisting sweets and I can create any excuse not to to exercise. And anyway my history reveals that by February 1st I have usually fallen off the wagon. So what to do?
Do I give in and give up? Yes. I give in and give up my desires to my Lord. I am putting my hope and my trust in Him alone. He is the One who died for all my sins. He knows my shortcomings, my weaknesses. The only way to change, to get better is to realize that If I am a believer then "I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me." (Galatians 2:20)
I will fail him, fall short but He won't give up on me because He promised to complete the good work he began in me (Philippians 1:.6). As I yield to Him, the Holy Spirit will produce the fruit of love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self control in my life.(Galatians 5:22)
So I resolve, I will put my hope in Him, and not myself...or those devilish miniature Butterfingers.

No comments: