Sunday, July 18, 2010

I Scream, You Scream, We All Scream for Ice Cream

                             
               
Because it's the middle of the sticky-hot, humid, miserable summer, and because my daughter made a pound cake today, I hinted to my dear husband that it was time. Time for ice cream.

Apparently, it was good timing.

Unbenounced to me, back in 1984, the month of July and the third Sunday in July (that's today) were designated by President Ronald Regan as National Ice Cream Month and National Ice Cream Day. I look for any excuse to celebrate and love having my friends and family over, so I was extra excited that the entire country was eating ice cream right along with me and my family today.When it comes to national holidays, this one is the sweetest, we can all agree.

Now, you may be shocked to find out that ice cream is not really one of my favorite sweet pleasures. But, I will admit, my husband has a tried-and-true simple recipe that's sure to please even me. But, the biggest fans and greatest supporters of Guy's Almost-Famous Ice Cream are my Daddy and my grandaughter, Malli.

My Dad is basically an ice cream connoisseur, having tasted ice cream from all over the world, and in possession of a well-stocked freezer filled with many varieties and flavors. And he will readily attest that this ice cream is a perfect 10.

Upon grandaughter's first taste of the delicious concoction, she uttered the word, "WOW," and she was only 18 months old at the time! The picture above is of the two of them getting down with some of the sweetness today.

Since I love you and want you to experience the sweet life, too I have decided to share Guy's Almost-Famous Ice Cream recipe, with his reluctant permission. But you have to promise to reply in my comment box and let me know what you think. Or else.
Just kidding.

      


Guy's Almost-Famous Ice Cream

3 cans sweetened condensed milk
2 cans evaporated milk
1 pint carton whipping cream
1 pint half and half
2 cups sugar
Vanilla Flavoring
(or Vanilla Bean if you have it)

Mix ingredients well and pour into ice cream freezer can.
Add whole milk to fill line on freezer can.
Insert the dasher and mix well by turning dasher back and forth. 
Freeze in an ice cream freezer according to the manufacturer’s instructions.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Thanks for sharing, Gina. I am going to make some when we go camping this weekend.!