Sunday, July 18, 2010

Figs



I have a beautiful fig tree in my yard planted by my late mother-in-law. For some reason, I have never ate a fig from that tree. Or any fig tree for, that matter. I'm odd like that. I have been known to consume Fig Newtons, if that counts for anything.


My mother has picked figs off the tree in my yard and made fig preserves once or twice but I have never been inclined to do that either. I don't know why.
Well, today I turned over a new (fig) leaf. And I am smitten.


First, a little education for the fignorant among us. (me included)


After hours and hours a few minutes of research on google.com, I learned some interesting things about figs For instance, this small, pear-shaped fruit, has long been revered for its apparent aphrodisiac properties. Note: My Guy has now read this and is outside in the 105 degree sweltering heat picking more figs for me. Hmm...I am beginning to see why some things should be kept a secret. And remember Adam and Eve? Yep, they clothed themselves with fig leaves.


Now for some seriously interesting nutritional information about figs:


-they have the highest overall mineral content of all common fruits.


-figs are an excellent source of potassium


-they may help to control blood pressure


-figs are also high in calcium, which protects bone density


-the fruit is also a source of iron, vitamin B6 and the trace mineral manganese


-they have higher quantities of fiber than any other dried or fresh fruit. (Insoluble fiber protects against colon and breast cancer, while soluble fiber helps lower blood cholesterol. Figs offer both types in one compact package. Since Americans on average eat less than half the minimum amount of dietary fiber thought to be necessary for good health, figs are a sweet and easy way to increase intake. Diets rich in fiber may also help manage weight. Additionally, figs’ fiber makes them a mild laxative.)


-figs are a good source of flavonoids and polyphenols, plant-based antioxidants that fight free radicals in the body.


-dried figs also contain Omega-3 and Omega-6 essential fatty acids, which may reduce the risk of coronary heart disease and improve immune function

-figs are one of the most perishable fruits and must be eaten within one to two days of harvest.
(As the old saying goes, nothing good lasts forever.)


So, after I have studied up and tasted the former forbidden fruit of my past, I guess I'll learn to make some fig preserves for those long winter days when it's just me and the Mister. Romantic, huh? Just don't count on me walking around adorned with fig leaves, honey.

1 comment:

BlueEyedYonder said...

I never knew you had a fig tree in your yard. We LOVE fig preserves. Sleep with one eye open, we might sneak over there and get some! (Just hope I don't catch you guys running around in fig clothes!)