Saturday, May 29, 2010

The sea is so wide and my boat is so small...

It's been a while since I posted anything on my blog. Life has just been incredibly eventful lately and I have great difficulty gathering any sound thoughts when life is uneventful so, well, just consider yourself lucky to get anything even half sensible out of me these days.

The "merry month of May" has been an emotional roller coaster for this Mom.
Our first son graduated from college, our second son is staring Air Force Basic Training in the face, and our daughter graduated from high school. On May 10th, oldest son, Taylor graduated from Emory University with  B. A. in Political Science. The weekend was filled with friends and family gathering in Atlanta to honor and celebrate this honored one of ours. On Mother's Day we attended the Baccalaureate Service at the Glenn Memorial Church.  During the service, I was touched by the singing of a choral anthem arranged by David Brunner entitled "Simple Boat."

Dear Lord, be good to me.
The sea is so wide and my boat is so small.
-Irish Fisherman's Prayer

Regard your body as a vessel,
A simple boat for going here and there.
Make of it a wish-fulfilling gem
To bring about the benefit of beings.

May I be a guard for those who are protectorless,
A guide for those who journey on the road.
For those who wish to go across the water,
May I be a boat, a raft, a bridge.
-The Way of the Bodhisattva


It is true, children grow up. There is a big world out there for them to explore, to experience, to conquer. They leave the harbour. I see Taylor stepping into another boat now ... taking risks, challenges with great confidence. Eyes focused and set on more goals. Griff is counting the days until he leaves for Basic Training. A young man with the many responsibilities that come with a wife and a baby ready to set sail, determined and motivated to excel. And that daughter, the baby, now graduated from high school, Eyes set on a new horizon. A vast sea with endless opportunities.

The words from "Simple Boat" speak to my heart, reminding me of the purpose of this journey I am on. The reason I am. I pause, think of the years of tireless loving, guiding, nurturing, training, disciplining my three children. Such wonderful years.  Does it all matter? Did I make a difference? How insignificant I feel at times, yet how I matter still. I do have purpose. A role. Even when what I have always been comfortable doing suddenly alters, changes, even ends. The sea is so wide and my boat is so small...May I be a boat, a raft, a bridge.


 

1 comment:

BlueEyedYonder said...

Gina, so funny that you chose to mention that verse from Taylor's baccalaureate service:

"The sea is so wide and my boat is so small..."

Such simple words, such a powerful message. Chris and I were talking about that verse after the service. I think about that verse when thinking of all the harm we are doing to our earth, our food, our nation. Sometimes it all feels so hopeless and you feel that one little person will not make a difference. I can imagine what that Irish fisherman felt too, a vast expanse of ocean opening up before him. Not knowing what storms may come, yet sailing out just the same. A job to do; a duty.

Thank you so much for sharing. Reading it again has really made my morning.