Monday, April 12, 2010

Handy Man - Part 2

My handy-man Guy shoveling in the dirt for the garden!

One of the benefits of working at a new school is the fact that I get to meet a lot of new people. One of my new acquaintances is Mrs. Chancey. Today I congratulated this sweet, blushing bride after she announced it was her wedding anniversary.

As she talked about her sweetheart, her face lit up and she even blushed a little.  It was obvious that she was deeply in love. Was it their first anniversary? Fifth? Tenth? Twenty-fifth? Guess again. Today she celebrated forty years with her husband. Forty years and still madly in love!  I think that it is just the sweetest thing to listen
to someone share about their love, their committment, their marriage. When we have more time one day, I'd like to hear more about their long-lasting romance.



After almost twenty-five years of marital bliss survival with my husband, I have come to one conclusion. The secret to a happy marriage is good communication. That means a lot more listening and a lot less talk. For two stubborn, headstrong people, I would say that has been one of the major hurdles in our relationship. But, there is hope. By the looks of things lately, I would say we are geting better in that area. Here's a recent exchange between us.


 Me: "Guy, I need a raised-bed garden. I want flowers. I want vegetables." 

Guy: "OK, darling. I'll get right to it."

At least, that's the way I remember the conversation.

No comments: