Sunday, March 15, 2009

Showers of Blessings


I couldn't help but think of this old hymn today. So many blessings seem to have been showered upon me this past week. A good lab report on a biopsy, the promise of a job for the remainder of the school year, and the returned health of sick family members, and many more.


Showers of blessings,
this is the promise of love,
there shall be seasons refreshing ,
sent from the Savior above.

Showers of Blessings. I remember being sandwiched between my Mema and my Papa Tanner as a young child and singing this song in that beautiful country church. The church stood in the midst of ancient oaks draped with spanish moss. One particular Sunday as we sang this hymn, it was pouring rain outside, our voices barely audible with the overwhelming sound of deafening rain. I recall getting soaked to the bone running to the car after the service. And the smell of the rain as it fell on that dry parched south Georgia soil where my ancestors had toiled and tilled the land. I remember my Papa's quiet, humble words of thanksgiving.

But what about the times when the rain doesn't come? What do we do when our very soul seems to be parched and windburned from the onslaught of trials threatening to rip us from our foundation. What do we do when there seems to be no hope? That is when we learn about trusting and obeying. That is when we allow Him to carry us, allow Him to have His way.




There shall be showers of blessing,

If we but trust and obey;

There shall be seasons refreshing,

If we let God have His way.


"Showers of Blessings" was written by Daniel Webster Whittle in 1883.

No comments: